In this blog post, we want to explore how to deal with depression, that's why we did the research so that you can discover natural ways to treat it, so read on and learn how to use herbs and supplements with Capsuline's Gelatin Capsules to improve depression.
According to the definition posted on the America Psychiatric Association website, depression is:
“A common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act. Fortunately, it is also treatable. Depression causes feelings of sadness and/or a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease a person’s ability to function at work and at home.
- Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:
- Feeling sad or having a depressed mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Increase in purposeless physical activity or slowed movements and speech
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide”
This mood disorder affects millions of people worldwide and according to research, is not caused by specific factors, rather, several contributing factors depending on the patient. This includes (but is not limited to): major life events, genetic predisposition, chemical imbalances in the brain, and hormonal imbalances in your body. In short, no one is immune from this type of illness.
Just like depression is not caused by one thing, there is no one way to deal with it. Traditionally depression treatment includes prescription medication and counseling. However, in this particular post we wanted to take a look at natural remedies that can complement traditional treatment, just like physical activity, meditation and other suggested activities.
Using herbs and supplements
Seeking alternative therapy to depression has been gaining popularity, particularly as some herbs have been found to work well. We strongly recommend bringing this up with your treating physician, therapist or psychiatrist in order to make it part of an overall treatment strategy and avoid side-effects or interactions. So, what herbs have been found to show the best results? Take a look here:
- John’s Wort: With the botanical name Hypericum perforatum this flowering plant has been used as a natural remedy to aid in treating depression and related symptoms such as anxiety or insomnia to promising results.
- Fish oils/Omega 3-fatty acids: Widespread popularity of omega 3 is usually related to heart disease and cholesterol levels, however it has also been linked to aiding with depression. Because of its effects on the brain, Omega-3 fatty acids are thought to help cells to communicate more efficiently, inhibit inflammation and may aid in cortisol release.
- Saffron: Although further research is required, this spice has been found to contribute with dealing with the symptoms of depression.
- Others: There are numerous studies that have found other herbs and dietary supplements to be of aid in dealing with depression such as: SAMe (S-adenosyl methionine), 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan), Vitamin B, Vitamin D and folic acid. Other herbs like ginseng, chamomile and lavender are thought to be helpful in dealing with depression related symptoms like stress and anxiety.
Depression is a very serious and delicate issue. With this article, we don’t pretend to discourage any other form of treatment, but rather shed some light and cast a wider net towards what may work for each patient. Seek medical advice and work together to see what makes sense regarding your particular set of symptoms, circumstances and lifestyle choices. Herbs, vitamins and supplements may be right for you, besides, you can make your own Clove Supplements in less than 5 minutes.