Boosting your mood, feeling and performing better, and engaging in a healthy lifestyle is not just for women. In the following post we take a deeper look into the best techniques for men’s health. From supplements to exercise and diet, we have all the tips for you!
Exercising is important. To be active is important not only for your body, but also for your mind. Statistically, men are at greater risk for heart disease which is why it is so important to maintain an active lifestyle and a healthy waistline. Other health concerns may arise like strokes and diabetes which is why we recommend men to start exercising if it’s not part of your current routine. While the amount of exercise a person needs varies according to their age, health and abilities, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends working with these guidelines:
- At least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity such as walking or swimming a week.
- If engaging in more vigorous activities like running, the standard is 75 minutes weekly.
- Doing strength training like weightlifting for all major muscle groups 2 times per week is also recommended.
To keep it interesting, we recommend experimenting with different activities and workouts that not only challenge your body, but also make the whole experience a lot more fun and demanding. While weight training is common for men, activities like yoga and Pilates are often overlooked and are great way to strengthen your back and get in some much-needed stretching.
Because of genetics, activity levels and unique lifestyle factors, every person has different nutritional necessities. Given this, it’s obvious why we don’t recommend a one-size fits all approach to nutrition. Products like multivitamins, even if specifically designed for men, often fail to take into account variables that may be key to feeling and performing better. This is why we are firm advocates of eating to thrive: a balanced diet and supplement plan that ensures you get all the nutrients and vitamins that you need suit to your activity levels and lifestyle choices.
As a man, what are some important factors you should take into account?
- Testosterone levels: Low testosterone makes men vulnerable to a variety of health issues such as sleep apnea, heart disease, depression and more. As men age, their testosterone levels tend to decrease, which is why supplements make such a great companion. Some natural ingredients that should be part of your supplement plan to aid in your testosterone levels include: Zinc, vitamin D and magnesium. You can make your own supplements using empty capsules at home.
- Prostate care: Prostate cancer is the second-most common cancer diagnosis for men. This means that anything you can do in order to take care of your prostate, from routine checkups to supplements, should definitely be taken into account as part of a healthy lifestyle approach. In terms of nutrition, rich omega-3 fish oils are the way to go.
- Heart health, cholesterol and blood pressure: Including antioxidants is key maintaining a healthy ticker as well as regulating cholesterol and blood pressure levels. To get your fix, include vitamins like A, C and E, as well as minerals like selenium and the coenzyme Q10.
- Fitness and performance: Because we know exercise is now part of your lifestyle (wink, wink!), the next natural step is ensuring you get the most out of your regimen. Whether you are aiming to gain muscle, need a boost of energy, or feel beat up after a session at the gym, you can use fitness supplements to up your game. Depending on your diet considerations and activity levels we encourage active men to include a combination of proteins, creatine, keto, and probiotics as part of their fitness journey.
Healthy and unhealthy habits
Actively taking control of your health is as much about including healthy habits as it is about breaking unhealthy ones. This is why it is important to avoid smoking, excessive drinking, as well as drug use. Furthermore, men tend to overlook basic self-nurturing and healthcare habits like sleeping well, having regular checkups and taking care of their skin.
We wouldn’t have a complete guide without touching the subject of mental health for men. Meditating, eating well (at regular hours!) and exercising are good ways to start on a healthier journey, however, from stress management to depression and other disorders, men are less likely to get help regarding mental issues. This is why we encourage you to consider this very important aspect when thinking of your health.
The final word
Just like there is no magic bean, there is no one way to get healthy. It is through the combination of healthy lifestyle choices, such as supplements, diet and exercise that this is achieved. So, use this guide as a starting point, and start making better choices now!